Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Truly Beautiful Person

In my job I meet a wide variety of people, usually in the insurance and financial services industry. And, due to the nature of my business, I usually meet the best examples of people in the industry. Occasionally I get to meet a client of one of these top examples, and if they're served by the best, then they're usually quite happy people.

Recently I met one of these happy customers in Los Angeles. Once a year our client does a series of videos about people who have benefitted from their purchase of different types of insurance when their lives took an unexpected turn, and the company I work for produces the videos. The happy customer of which I speak is in his 50s, and if ever there was a man emotionally and mentally prepared to have a disaster befall him, this was the man. Devout in his faith (not something I particularly care about, but it's such a part of his life it cannot go unmentioned), and of unflappable spirit, he has lived his whole life choosing to smile and greet everyone he meets warmly and with joy. He had just returned from a visit to Israel in 2004 when one day he experienced an uncharacteristic weakness in his arms and legs. He lay down to rest, took a brief nap, and when he made to get up, his legs collapsed beneath him. He could not get up or move without help. By nightfall he was paralyzed from the neck down. In the ensuing days his doctors had diagnosed him with Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

I'm not versed in medical lingo. I know only from meeting him that Guillain-Barre Syndrome is temporary -- he can recover -- however it can leave one devastated. I'm not here to extoll the virtues of insurance, but I'm sure it is the main reason he can smile today, for his family has not experienced a financial hardship, despite astronomical medical expenses.

We spent a day with this man, in his home, at aqua-therapy, at physical therapy. He has regained movement and limited function of his arms and hands, and some movement of his legs. He works hard to get better, and there is incremental improvement every day. His mind is sharp, his wit is quick, and his condition is the last thing on his mind, other than that it's the reason he must fill his days with visits to the hospital therapy room and the local pool. He engages everyone intellectually, enjoys laughter -- generating and receiving -- and will talk non-stop if you let him.

I don't really know what I logged on here to say, except that in the presence of this man I was touched. Touched by his undeniable spirit, his unstoppable will, his unswerving determination to get back on his feet, and by his infectious, never-ending smile. The world needs more people like him.

Here's to you, Mr. Shore. May you be back on your feet soon.

No comments: