Sunday, March 12, 2006

Farting Musical Notes

I am not a musician. I can’t read a note of music, nor can I play a musical instrument. However, as one may recall, I do have a love of the keyboard, and I have a long history of farting around with them.

Last summer Mrs. Farrago and I upgraded our computers, and I came into possession of my first brand new computer in the 21st century, an Apple G5 iMac. While farting around with it (What? There’s a manual?) I discovered this little program that came with the purchase, called “Garage Band.” I read in the help menus that one so inclined could attach a MIDI keyboard to the computer and use that to pump sounds out of the computer. Ahh, wouldn’t that be nice? I had my old Casio keyboard down in the basement, the one I’d had since I bought the demo model in 1993. It had MIDI capability, but it was the size of a surfboard, so it wouldn’t fit in the tight confines of my home office. So I was content to use the QWERTY keyboard mapped as a musical instrument, which the app calls “musical typing.” Okay, “content” doesn’t fit as well as “tolerant.” Okay, so I never messed with it after the novelty wore off.

Then, one day shortly after my 41st birthday, and immediately after a routine dental appointment, I moseyed through the Michigan Avenue Apple store, where my eyes were grabbed by the flash of a dreamy sight: an iMac, open to “Garage band,” with a musical keyboard attached! The keyboard was marked at only $100, so I used my birthday money and I bought one! (Yes, I had ‘birthday money.’ Shut up.)

Then I gave away my Casio keyboard as a wonderful gift (same link as above...). And after that I propped my new MIDI keyboard, unopened, against the wall next to my desk, waiting for the day I cleaned off my desk and made room for the keyboard. That was in October. Finally, just a couple of weeks ago I finally cleared some space for the keyboard, and I finally was able to play with it.

I have a small repertoire of tunes I play. None of them are very sophisticated, but I like to play them over and over because they’re original, and they’re mine. I occasionally create something new, just hitting some keys and, if I hear something interesting, I explore it. But the problem has often been that I would find a cool sound, play it for a day, and then, since I can’t write music, I would forget it. Well, with “Garage Band” I can record whatever I create into a timeline. Then I can create a second track and record an accompaniment to the first. I can layer sounds and instruments. And then I can look at what I’ve created as notes on a musical staff!! I think I can even print it out as sheet music, but I’ve never explored that possibility.

So, just farting around with the keyboard and “Garage Band,” I hit on a sound and I played with it. About twenty minutes later I had created three tracks with three different instrument voices in a somewhat dark and foreboding tune, and I was giggling like a schoolgirl over what I had created. I called Mrs. Farrago in to let her listen to it. She smiled at me, more amused at the giddy grin on my face than the musical sludge I had just produced. She offered her opinion – unsolicited as it was – and from her words came the title of the song.

So, I present to you a Farrago original, Bad ‘80s Sci-fi Movie Theme Song. Let me know if you download it into your iPod or MP3 player. I want the royalties. (Don’t worry. I don’t sing on it.)




dassall

9 comments:

StringMan said...

Very cool keyboard farting, my friend! Sounded like the intro to some Styxx song or something like that. Loved the little minor you threw in there in the middle of the riff. Made it work for me. Keep working that thing!

Tony Gasbarro said...

Minor?! I never touched the kid! Oh. Wait. Minor. Yeah, okay.

But seriously, thank you. Coming from you, a musical person, it means a lot to me.

And I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "the little minor part," but I think I know. The part right before the melody repeats? The little tinkly piano part? If that's not what you're talking about, it's my favorite part, anyway.

Thanks again for listening...and reading.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Heh heh. Minor.

I can't listen to this i'm afraid. I lurk in the dark ages of computing. I blog at work, where sound of any kind is frowned on like some kind of aural pox.

boo.

Tony Gasbarro said...

utmg, there're these things called headphones... :P

But seriously, I hope you find a way.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I wondered why people were looking at me a bit funny when i had my ear squished against the monitor.

StringMan said...

Actually, I listened again, and it is that part before the melody repeats. What I liked was the Eb chord you threw in there. Not a minor, but I liked it, and I liked how it resolved back to the Gm at the very end. You have good intuitions.

What can I say:
I like my women stacked, but I like my notes flat.

mr. schprock said...

Okay, Farrago, I listened to your musical composition and I'll give it to you straight — after all, better to hear the truth than something sugar-coated just to make you feel good, right? Are you ready? Promise to still be my friend afterward?

Okay.

YOU ARE FREAKING MOZART!

Tony Gasbarro said...

I'm not surprised at all that I'm freaking Mozart! And I bet Beethoven's rolling over, too! (to tell Tschaikovsky the news.....)

Kathleen said...

I'm not a fan of electronica type music, butI think that would sound very cool with a full band or orchestra (which of course would take a little effort to orchestrate). I'm impressed as I have no musical ability whatsoever.