Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Chunky Cheese Burgers

It's not often that I am inspired to cook something I've never cooked before, and even less often that I am inspired to create culinarily.

It's a word.

Sunday at my sister's house for a family gathering and pool party, we were poking light fun at my niece, #9, for the hamburgers she had made for the occasion. With a little bit of A-1 Sauce in the mix, along with some egg and diced onions, they were fairly typical of back yard cookout fare. Except for their size. She had factored too much for shrinkage on the grill and had made them huge. They wound up only slightly less huge. But give her a break; she has one year left toward her nursing degree...it's her younger sister who's the budding chef.

The diced onions were cut fairly large, too, and that gave me an idea, which I tried today. I saw the chunks of onion and thought, "What if that were cheese?" Imagine thick squares of cheddar embedded in your piping hot burger, oozing out when you bite into it!

So Tuesday I gave it a shot.

I had done some grocery shopping on Monday and picked up a block of medium cheddar cheese and about a pound of ground chuck. I had another pound of regular ground beef in the freezer, which I put into the refrigerator Tuesday afternoon to thaw.

Into a mixing bowl I threw both packages of ground beef, two eggs, one half of an onion, diced, and 8 ounces of cheddar cheese cut into roughly half-inch cubes. I mixed everything together, as one is wont to do when making hamburgers, and threw them on the grill.


Click on a photo to make it grow.

And they came out? Meh. The cheese that went onto the grill exposed melted out of the burger and onto the grill. It smelled bad while the burgers were cooking. I made three large burgers and three average sized to see if there was any difference in the taste or the melt of the cheese. There was not much difference at all.



I do think it's kind of a good idea...maybe something fun to do with kids, but next time I'll use smaller chunks of cheese...and learn how to cook.



°

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a nice idea. I'd have done small slices of cheese instead of chunks and would've placed them right smack dab in the middle of the burger (unless you like 'em done rare; then it wouldn't work out so well. Maybe.) If you like them rare, I'd recommend forming the burgers with 3 hunks of your ground beef mixture: Flatten one, top with sliced cheese, top with another layer of meat, add more sliced cheese and then final layer of meat. Can you picture that? I think it would work out great. :)

Guess who!? ;-p

Anonymous said...

Big Y has burgers with Cheddar Cheese, Onion and Bacon...they call them Cowboy burgers...trick is to spay the burgers with some cooking spray or brush with olive oil so it seals in the cheese and juices.

They are really moist and flavorful.

Wave

kenju said...

Yep. Like anon. up there, I'd make sure the cheese was sealed up in the middle of the ground meat and then brush with oil before grilling.

Maggie said...

Like many other things, you live and learn as you do it. But I have to say these looks damn yummy! I WANT!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Here's my recipe.

Ingredients:

500g lean beef mince (chuck?)
Cayenne pepper
Cumin
Salt (Carmague preferably)
Onion
Garlic
Egg
Blue Cheese

Take the mince. Slam into a bowl. Finely chop the onion and the garlic. Slam them into the bowl too. Add a sprinkle of the salt, the cayenne pepper, and the cumin. Knead it all together. Add the egg. Knead it some more.

Make patties out of the mix. Work a small pit into the middle of each one with your fingers. Take the blue cheese and cut out small squares. Stuff one into each burger. Draw the meat back over the top to cover the cheese good and proper. Watch out for cracks - so the cheese doesn't leak. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Then BBQ slowly, to your taste.

Enjoy.