Friday, January 06, 2006

How To Piss Off God

Or At Least A Stocky Nun...


This week we shot for a video that will be used as part of a fundraising effort for a Catholic high school. It's a very small, inner-city school that was started in the 2004-'05 year, so they're struggling to fill the classrooms.

Today the producer and I came in from lunch and tossed our coats on the teacher's chair in the classroom where we were going to shoot the next series of interviews. When the interviews were done, we were told that a class was coming within the next five minutes to this same classroom, so we needed to clear out our stuff. I grabbed the coats and went out into the reception area, right outside the principal's office. There was a chair there which we had thrown our coats over in the morning, and I was about to put them there again when, out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like a coat tree that I hadn't noticed before. I picked up the one coat I had already draped over the chair and turned to hang the coats on the coat tree.

Fortunately for me I stopped to notice that the coat tree was actually a six-foot tall, two-foot wide, brass crucifix before I actually hung any coat there!

Now, though I am atheist, I am a recovered Catholic, so I know the significance of the crucifix. I wasn't worried about the wrath of an unseen deity, but I did feel relief that I had avoided a certain flying knee-drop from the school principal, Sister Mary Steamroller, had I committed such an offense!

WHEW!


dassall!

No comments: