Saturday, January 28, 2006

"JFK" 1986

I hadn't yet been born - hell, I hadn't even been conceived, yet - when John F. Kennedy was assassinated. But from the time I was aware of history until the 20th anniversary of that terrible day (apparently the appropriate period of mourning?), I was reminded every November 22 of the day our nation cried. Invariably the question was asked, "What were you doing the day Kennedy was killed?" And, invariably, those i knew who were around and self-aware on that day could remember exactly what it was they were doing when they heard the news.

I was stationed at Wüschheim Air Station in West Germany. I had been in country for exactly one month. As one of the newest airmen on base, and still fairly low in rank, I was put on the midnight shift guarding the GLCM Alert Maintenance Area (an acronym within an acronym!). Working midnights and living in the dorms could prove a challenge with all of the young, single men from all shifts trying to get everything out of life they could while far away from home, so sleep during the day was often elusive and regularly interrupted.

I felt the side of my bed - the top bunk - being tugged. A voice kept saying, "Dude, dude." Finally aware of reality, I rolled violently over to confront my roommate for waking me before the time I had set my alarm to do it.

"Dude, the space shuttle just blew up." He was a joker, and rarely sounded down. But he certainly seemed in shock.

I pictured dozens of scenarios in the blink of my eyes. In orbit. On the launch pad. On the landing strip. Shuttle launches were still new enough that the media paid rapt attention to them; that I paid interested attention in them. I knew one was scheduled to go up, but in my foggy state I couldn't be sure if it had already launched or was still waiting.

"WHAT?!" I sat up. "No way!"

"Yeah," he said.

"What happened?"

"Just fucking blew up," he said as he walked away from my bunk.

I maneuvered to climb down from the bed. "Where? When?"

"Right in the middle of the launch."

Launch pad. I pictured the old, early 1960s era test launches of space rockets, one in particular that lifted a few dozen feet off the ground and then dropped straight back down to the launch pad, buckling and fracturing under its own weight, and then exploding in an all-consuming fireball as all of the energy stored for its trip to space was spent in the fraction of a second.

"They've been playing it over and over on TV," my roommate said as he stood before the television set in the common area of our room. I came up and stood beside him and saw the now-famous shot of the aftermath of the explosion, the main fireball already expanded to its full dimension and now mostly grey-white, the two solid-fuel boosters flailing helplessly in near-space and then self-destructing as they were designed to do should something go horribly wrong, as had obviously happened.

And then the image switched to Challenger on the launch pad, all intact, as if the previous seconds of the broadcast had merely been a horrible nightmare. Three, two, one, liftoff. And seventy-three seconds later the story, the end of which I had already seen, updated itself. And I wanted to cry.

It was on the second or third replay for me that I noticed the odd spike of flame spurting out from the side of the main booster. And it was a few replays afterward that an "expert" pointed it out as abnormal, and certainly something that investigators would be looking into.

And I stood there in front of my television set, short of sleep, wishing they would stop showing the arc of tragedy over and over, and yet unable to tear my eyes away from the images with each replay.

It was not a president. I don't know of any other single American whose sudden, untimely, or even violent death would cause a nation to pause as would a president's, as did Kennedy's. And it wasn't the six astronauts and one teacher whose deaths stopped us in our tracks. It was the failure of something that, to our knowledge, had never failed before: NASA. We had conquered space, we Americans had. We had captured the moon, and the brand name we had affixed to it was NASA. NASA, we had believed, could do anything. NASA, we had come to understand with a sense of awe, could achieve the impossible. And the impossible had happened: failure. Catastrophic, fatal failure.

The nation paused and cried, not only for the seven valiant souls extinguished on that day, but because, despite the lofty goals and astounding achievements our nation had made under the banner of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, we saw the first evidence of her crumbling edifice created by the ever increasing demand for perfection in a world of shrinking funds. Corners were cut, the evidence bore out. Oversight was overlooked. Sacrifices were made in order to get the next shuttle into space on schedule. Those who paid for these shortcomings were not just the seven crew who lost their lives that day, but it was every human being who watched in horror as those seven lives were lost, who felt their hearts stop beating for an instant, whose faith in this nation's brain-trust was shaken to the core, or even broken.

And now it's twenty years later. Every January 28th for the past ninteen years we have been revisited by the spectacular imagery of a nation's pride going up quite literally in flames. As we reflect on our tragic loss, we should also reflect on what has been learned since then. There are certain things in our world for which no penny should be spared. I don't speak of the lives of the astronauts. If our goal is the betterment of or the advancement of our species, if our goal is the better understanding of our world through exploration of the space around us, then we should responsibly spend every penny necessary to make sure nothing hinders the process. If we endeavor always to move forward, if we place learning at the forefront of our purpose instead of budget, then we will protect not only the lives of the daring souls who venture forth in the nose of the rocket, but as well the psyches of those left on the ground to watch, cheer, and reap the rewards.


dassall

9 comments:

mr. schprock said...

Very nice post. I remember working an out of town as a housepainter on Martha's Vineyard when it happened. The boss, who was a lot older than the rest of us and more appreciative of things, decided to watch the launch while the rest of us had lunch. We were already a bit jaded I suppose; we had seen plenty of launches, they all go off without a problem, ho hum. When our boss walked into the kitchen and said the shuttle blew up, we thought he was kidding.

I think what hit hardest for me was that it was a teacher, one of us, someone we could understand, who was on that shuttle.

Incidentally, Christa Mcauliffe graduated from the same college I did.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Do you remember the JFK assassination? You've placed yourself about 10 years older than I, as I recall.

We shouldn't have so many days that stopped the world in our memory banks. JFK (for you), Challenger, 9/11, Columbia (though, as tragedies go, somehow Columbia was low-key)

fakies said...

I was in first grade when it blew up. It was a big deal here, so all the teachers had their students watching the launch. Of course, at that time, it was difficult for me to understand that they were actually dead. After all, it was on TV - couldn't they just move to another channel and come back to life?

John said...

I was in first grade, too. I remember learning about Christa McAuliffe in Weekly Reader leading up to the launch, and then Ms. O'Shea wheeling the tv into the classroom that day and we say it live.

It's weird though, because I don't actually remember what happened. I know the kindergarten teacher came into the room, but not much else. I sat near the back of the room and I didn't have glasses yet, so I don't think I actually saw what was happening.

mr. schprock said...

"Do you remember the JFK assassination? You've placed yourself about 10 years older than I, as I recall."

Yes, I do. I was in kindergarten or first grade as I recall. The school was very close to my house, so I came home every noontime for lunch. When I came home that day, I found my mother crying in the kitchen. Later, I remember watching the funeral procession on TV (everybody had that day off). It seemed so long; it just went on and on. It's a little embarrassing to say this — you have to understand how young I was — but I kept hoping they'd open up the coffin so I could see what a dead guy looked like. That's what kept me in front of the TV the whole time.

Chloe said...

I too was in the first grade. All the teachers were so sad, that's how we knew it was serious. We just couldn't grasp the magnitude.

ProducerClaire said...

Now I know where I stand in age compared to some of you.

I was in 7th grade at a private Catholic school. They made the announcement at lunch, then expected us to go on about our day. We didn't know what to think, so we did....

After school, though, I was one of about 10 students in the whole school who commuted in every day from other counties. That meant no bus rides, and waiting till my parents came to get me. Usually, I'd do my homework, but I remember that afternoon, Matt (a geeky eighth grader who I thought was cute) and I found a TV cart in a language lab, found a place in the school where we could get reception with a coat hangar for an antenna, and gathered the other kids in the room to watch.

That's where I saw my first images of the disintegration of the space travel dream. What the network had replayed all day, I was seeing for the first time. Sitting in a cramped language lab closet in a private school, sneakily consuming these images the school had not offered to show us. I felt like a voyeur, and the Catholic guilt was tapping me on the shoulder, telling me I really should leave.

But I didn't. I think that's when I chose my profession over the Catholic religion.

Scott said...

I was probably drunk out of my skull, at the end of my first attempt at college. I remember the footage but not where I was. What I do remember is a bunch of jokes that came out right afterwards, very tasteless. What color were the teacher's eyes on the space shuttle? Answer: Blue. One blew that way and one blew the other. Real funny. That's our country. We've elevated disrespect into a sick form of comedy.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Christ! I'm fucking old! I'm a full 15 years older than most of the people who read this post (7 comments! I think that's a record!)

It is interesting how you do remember that day.

Scott, I think it's actually a very interesting coping mechanism that we wre able to turn some of the worst tragedies into humor. I can't recall any, but I'm certain I heard other space shuttle jokes.

I don't recall any 9/11 jokes, though. I think some things just hit too deep.