Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Fading Light

She was born on a farm on October 31, 1993. I guess I had always wanted one since I was a kid, but I knew for sure when I saw somebody else's; his blue eyes blew me away. She seemed deeply interested in eating my shoelaces. All of the blue-eyed ones were already taken. And then so was I.

I named her in the car on our way home. I don't know where I came up with it. Maybe it was the season, a week before Christmas. I'm not a religious person. Moreover, I eschew such symbolism and reference. But for whatever reason, I named her Angel. She is pure-bred, and on her American Kennel Club pedigree, her name is Angel For Now, which belies both the tenuous hold her name held in my heart at the time, and my belief that whatever of her qualities that possessed me to name her as I did wouldn't prevail!

She bonded to me quickly. I learned within a day or two how important my scent was to her; she was awfully content to curl up and sleep in a laundry basket on top of my dirty clothes. In one of my most wildly creative moments, I used her habit to stop her whimpering at night while she was penned in the bathroom; I tossed a dirty t-shirt in to her and she went quietly to sleep almost immediately!

I brought her with me to my parents' home to meet the family at Christmas. Living only 300 miles away at the time and having to work between the holdays meant I could still be home at Christmas and New Year's, and the sixteen accumulated hours in the car over two round trips made Angel into a comfortable (enough) road dog. She spent those first few months, those first few trips, curled up on the passenger seat beside me, and I'll never forget the seemingly confused look about her eyes when, as she got to be too big for the seat, she was no longer comfortable there. It wasn't long after that she learned how roomy was the area of an SUV behind the front seats, and she could still be close enough to me to smell me and to be touched.

She learned the joys of the frisbee when, with the help of a friend and neighbor, she finally got the timing right and caught it. It was only a few days later when she learned how much more fun it could be if she would bring it back to me and let me throw it again!

She dazzled me with her intelligence. Her first toys were plastic chew toys that proved to be very fragile in her jaws, and a shoe and a child's slipper donated by family members. The slipper was actually in the form of a bunny rabbit, but it looked more to me like a kitty kat. So, when playing with Angel with these toys I called them "shoe," and "kitty." Her toybox quickly expanded to include "ball," a tennis ball; a knotted chew "rope"; a donut-shaped rubber chew toy, "ring"; a squeak toy about the size of a 12" softball, "squeaky ball"; a number three sized, child's soccer ball, "big ball"; and of course, "frisbee." In all, there were about 15 different items of all shapes and sizes. One day it dawned on me that she was responding to my words by picking up the toy I called out to her. I tested her by spreading her toys out all over the floor and randomly called out to her, "Where's the 'big ball?'" "Gimme the 'rope!'" "Where's that 'ring?'" And with about 95 percent accuracy she retrieved the correct toy!

At her second Christmas with my family it was my father, of all people -- Mr. Gruff Exterior, tough-as-nails, don't-cry-about-it-just-get-back-on-your-feet-and-go, to-hell-with-flowers-plant-tomatoes -- who noticed that she has a cute, little, Valentine-heart-shaped spot on her left foreleg/shoulder!

She had been with me barely a year when I uprooted and moved 600 miles further south. When I finally settled in to my new apartment, Angel ran to the door every time I stood up, thinking we were finally going back home (I know this because if I opened the door, she ran straight for the car, and then looked at me!). This behavior tapered off over about a month, and she was conent in her new home. I did it to her again after about 18 months, only moving to a place out in the woods. She absolutely loved it there, and her urge to go back "home" dissipated within several days.

Then I met the future Mrs. Farrago. When it came time to move I really regretted taking Angel out of the environment she so dearly enjoyed - a huge field in which to run, a creek running past a sandy beach (despite my fear an alligator might eat her!), scrumptious squirrels running all over the place. The improvement in my life, the upgrade of my environment meant the opposite for Angel. Mrs. Farrago had two dogs of her own. Angel would no longer be the sole focus of my affection. She had to compete for attention, place, and toys, and she was a sore loser.

She forced the other female out: she's still in the family, but now with Mrs. Farrago's brother. The male, two years older than Angel, began to break down and, since he was Mrs. Farrago's dog it was Mrs. Farrago's decision, he was put down at the end of August 2004 before he experienced any true misery.

And now, nearly two years later, Angel is meandering down the same path. Her eyes can't track and her jaws can't catch the ball like they used to. She can no longer run the frisbee down, nor catch it. Her hind legs are objecting to her decisions to get up off of her pillow, sometimes refusing to move for a few more seconds. She doesn't hear me when I come home from work, but more feels my footsteps in the floor when I get very near her. Her rear end is failing her more and more often, as there is some nerve issue causing her incontinence. We have her on a daily dose of selegiline hydrochloride, an effort to determine if she suffers from cognitive dysfunction syndrome in dogs. It has helped curtail the incontinence, but not 100 percent.

Angel narrowly escaped the will of Mrs. Farrago in March, but she cannot escape the ticking clock. The day, as yet unmarked, weighs heavier on me as it approaches. When it is time, if she hasn't checked out on her own, Angel's eyes will close for the last time on the man who has belonged to her forever and the woman who joined him about halfway through, and on the house she has shared with them and those damn birds she's not allowed to eat.


11 comments:

mr. schprock said...

What a dog! I understand, I really do. I know pets are people too, true members of your family.

My boss just had to put down his dog. He (the dog) had diabetes, blindness and other problems. The last straw was a painful tumor in one of the eyes. He and his wife considered operating, but decided putting their dog to sleep was more humane. Tough stuff.

StringMan said...

I've come to see how difficult it is to put a dog down. There is an emotional bond that us cat owners can't quite identify with.

A quick story. My nephew and his wife had a dog for 15 years. The dog had a painful decline and they finally had to put him down. They were devastated. That very night was also my Aunt Peg's wake. She was 87 and lived a good life. Died in her sleep.

Anyway, my nephew hardly knew my aunt, but out of respect for his Mom (my sister), he and his wife attended the wake. They came into the funeral home, straight from the vet hospital, eyes red, still crying, telling us about their painful day. They were inconsolable.

My other two aunts who were still alive called me over. "I never knew he loved Peg some much. What a sweet young man."

Of course, it was all about the dog. But they got major points from my aunts. It was a very strange evening.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I semi-adopted a cat that lived a few doors down a couple of years ago.

She came up to me in the car park one day and followed me back to the house, meowing about the finer points of her day as if we had been rolling together all our lives.

I figured that it wouldn't hurt to let her in, so from that day forth we became buddies.

I called her Bowie because she was albino with different coloured eyes, and her manner reminded me of the thin white duke.

Her real owner came round and demanded her back one day after she popped in for a chat.

I never saw her again.

I later found out her real name was Colchester.

Terrible name for a town, let alone a cat.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Mr. Schprock, when we put Mrs. Farrago's boy down, I had to travel the next day to Connecticut. Talk about barely hanging on! I demand bereavement time for our pets!

String, leave it to you to have a funny story about a FUNERAL!

Toast, did you cry when Bowie's rightful - if neglectful - owner took her away? I could like a cat, but it takes time. I love a dog instantly.

fakies said...

I have a cat, who is currently missing, but I would be upset if something happened to him. But my mom's dog was born in 1990, and she is on her last legs. Can't hear, can barely see, incontinent at times, has a hard time with her joints when it's cold, etc. But she is still pretty active for her age, and it's going to be really hard when something happens to her. My mom won't know what to do without Ebony. After all, she's gotten used to holes in her flower beds, bones all over the yard, and the neighbor's lawn ornaments on the front step.

ProducerClaire said...

I had to use a vacation day last month when ours got so sick she had to shuffle off the mortail coil. I agree with the bereavement time plea!

A beautiful story of devotion to one who I bet is a wonderful little girl (because no matter how old they get, they're always our "boy" or our "girl"). Brought tears to my eyes, m'dear.

Know that when that sad day comes, you are doing what is best for her. With the first boy, we didn't have that time. With the girl, we took her out for a hamburger. Anything to make her smile. Anything to let her know we loved her.

I, however, couldn't be there. I've never had the fortitude to be there when I've had a pet put to sleep. The once time I was close, was an experience that I won't recount for the benefit of pet lovers, but that I'll never forget either.

She is loved. That is apparent. There's little else to say.

ProducerClaire said...

Okay - one more thing to say...she's gorgeous too! LOVE the pix!

Tony Gasbarro said...

Claire said, "With the girl, we took her out for a hamburger. Anything to make her smile. Anything to let her know we loved her."

We did that with Mrs. Farrago's boy. Not the hamburger part, but we went for a long walk where he found a blastic ball and proceeded to crush it to a pulp, and we just loved on him as much as we could. I think he knew the jig was up, however. The traveling vet had come several weeks earlier to meet him, and he just loved her to death. But when she arrived to do the deed he just growled and barked at her! They can read us at levels we will just never understand.

And thanks for the comments about the photos. I happen to think she is quite a pretty dog!

Yeah. She's my "puppy girl."

I agree being there at the last moments is tremendously difficult, but I just couldn't bear to think her last moments, her last images and sounds would be without us.

Okay. I gotta go now!

Tony Gasbarro said...

Er, that ball was "plastic," actually....

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I felt pretty empty. I still miss that cat.

Tony Gasbarro said...

utmg, how long ago was it that ColBowieer was reclaimed by her owner? Doesn't Bristol have an equivalent to the US's local Humane Society locations? You can pick up a spayed/neutered pet for the cost of its vaccinations, usually next to nothing.

But I guess that wouldn't be the same as being singled out and stalked by a pet who insists on keeping you.