Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Shack My Crit Up!




"They're playing that??!!"

One of the way more cool — in my opinion — Chicago classic rock radio stations, WDRV The Drive 97.1 FM (look for their live stream on their website!) is doing their twice- or three-times-a-year "The Drive A to Z," where they select around 2000 titles from their library and then play through them in alphabetical order. It takes them about eight days to get through them, and it's something I enjoy immensely when I get the chance to listen, because they invariably play some songs you just don't hear on the radio very often any more...if at all.

This evening I was driving alone in the cab while they were playing through the Ds, when I heard what my brain couldn't process as reality: Dueling Banjos.

"Dueling Banjos??!! They have that in their library?!"

Naturally, I cranked the tune, as I haven't heard it in years, certainly not in its entirety.

After the final, electronically reverberated, curt chord dissolved into silence, the DJ's voice intoned, "Yes we did."

It's rare that subtle DJ humor so effectively elicits a belly laugh from me, but this was too absurd. Crack up I did!



°

7 comments:

санжог said...

nice, In australia we got tripple M and tripple J.

then we have 104.1 Too-GAY FM, which keeps playing duff duff songs.


I wish there were radio channels like what you have there.

kenju said...

I like that one, but I guess it's not what you'd usually hear there, right?

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention you wear glasses in the about me section.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Squeal piggy!

Hutchlover said...

I like the Drive. In fact, when I first drove Ron up here when he transferred, I immediately found my new favorite station in Chicago.

Of course, it doesn't compare to Magic 105.7 or WMVX 106.5 in Cleveland, but the latter is not as good now that they've changed their morning format in the last year since I've moved to Chicago.

What I do like about Chicago is that there are so many different stations, and a good variety of music.

Omar Vizquel is a traitor!

Kelly G. said...

Dude, it's been over a month since you've blogged. What the hell?! It's not like you're busy or anything. ;)

And hey, I just realized that you need to update your "about me" section. You spelled "phat" wrong.

Anonymous said...

Beauty, unaccompanied by virtue, is as a flower without perfume.