Sunday, July 24, 2005

A week in Puerto Rico (so far...)

Well, it hasn't been QUITE a week, yet. I got here Tuesday night. But I have time to write tonight, so let's just call it a week and get it over with.

People in Puerto Rico (I won't say Puerto Ricans because they're not the only ones here...it could be anybody), no matter how friendly or law-abiding they might be at any other time of the day, are absolutely AWFUL drivers. They're even worse than Florida drivers! Unless...these are the people who couldn't get licenses in Florida...hmmmm. Example: I was sitting in the left lane at a red light. When the light changed, the person in the car to my right shot out ahead of me and made a left turn across my lane, and I was going straight! This was NOT an isolated incident!

The women here are among the most beautiful I have ever seen. Almost too beautiful. Teenage girls should NOT look that good!

When you must get half naked in order to feel comfortable in the heat outside, and even that doesn't work, why then must hotels and other public establishments blast the AC so freakin' cold that, in turn, you freeze? I mean embarrassing nippage is one thing, but frostbitten nipples in a tropical paradise is quite another!

Breakfast at McDonalds here is nothing like on the US mainland. Here your combo choices are limited to bagel meals or "McCriollo" meals, with differing meats fleshing out (nyuk! nyuk!) the menu. I got the "bagel salchiche," or the sausage bagel, which I don't even think is on the menu at a mainland McDonalds! The other choices are ham and bacon. The same meat choices are available on the McCriollo, which my best guess at pronouncing is "mik-cree-YO-yo," but that does little to help my understanding what the hell it is!

How dangerous -- or not -- are iguanas? They're all over the place! They are scary looking little fuckers, and some of them are NOT so little! Oh, they look cute, as it were, in someone's terrarium or in their arms when they hold one, but these guys (on a golf course (oh, stop! I wasn't playing golf! I'm working, and yes, it IS tough. You try spending a week in "paradise" only working!)) looked hungry...and they looked as though they could make a meal out of my foot!

In all, for all its beauty, tropical climate and beautiful, kind people, I think Puerto Rico is a hostile place for plant life, animal life and, yes, if you're caught unprepared in the wrong place, even human life!

dassall

No comments: