Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Matter of Suspense

I signed up for Netflix last week. It’s a two-week trial, but I know I’ll keep it. When I was married (still am, technically) we lost the desire to go to see movies. What’s the point of spending twenty bucks on tickets and getting raped for what amounts to a scoop of popcorn and two cups of bubble-y sugar water, only to sit in a room full of rude, noisy people who can’t shut up when the actors are talking?

And then, while we had the time and energy to sit and stare at the TV set, we didn’t want to set our favorite shows aside to watch movies. At least not that often.

But now I’m in a determined effort to catch up on seven years of missed movies!

And that brings up what I’ve been thinking about for the past few days, probably the most important element to making a successful book or film or television show: the suspension of disbelief.

People have been writing fiction and other people have been lapping it up since the first ink was set to papyrus in the Old Testament, and beyond. What magic it is that a skilled wordsmith can use the same letters as you and I, the same words in our collective vocabulary, and spin a tale to make our hearts race or our hair stand on end, or bring us to the heights of laughter or the depths of sorrow!

We’ve all been there; anyone who can read has read, and has experienced a world of sensations beyond anything we’ve done, yet entirely contained within our brains!

I’ve never watched the action-adventure serial 24 on television. I’ve only experienced the program at my whim via DVD player. I know the people I see on the screen are merely highly paid actors following a script. I know that the setting is a mocked up room within a much larger room, and that none of the computers or phones are hooked up to anything beyond the walls and in the real world. I know that the scenarios presented to me are the products of a group of very active and clever imaginations and, further, stretch the boundaries of plausibility. And yet, the story that script tells the actors to tell, the scenarios in which the characters find themselves, grab me by the throat and pull me in! The program can be addictive, and I will sometimes sit and watch four episodes back to back! On a school night!!

At what point in the expository scenes do we accept the terms of the tale? What determines the breaking point where an implausibility is ignored or is dwelled upon, where the story is moved along or it is ruined for us?

As an aspiring writer I find fascinating the challenge to imagine a scenario that is interesting enough, and to string together the right combination of words in the right order to bring a reader into my story and ignore its flaws and stretches and fantasies, and to BELIEVE. And to stay to the end.

May I someday meet that challenge.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, while it is true that the expense and rudeness was a big factor, i had hoped for a real "date" of dinner and a movie, at some time... it just never happened. any movie i did happen to see involved children's choices

you have seen movies though, while out of town, and traveling on planes too

kenju said...

Oops, seems like anonymous up above me there has a stake in the action, Farrago. LOL

You are so right about the movies and about good writing. I can't do it, but I surely do admire those who can!

Beth said...

I had no idea you wanted to be a writer! Learn something new every day.

I love movies. I also love going to the theater, but I wish it was an empty theater. I don't go much. Once a year. :::sigh:::

Anonymous said...

hey -- did 2500 bonus AA miles influence your decision to try netflix? :P

Middle Girl said...

I too enjoy movies (not going to the theatre) and though cable is chock full of em, not usually what I want, when I want. Netflix (or some service like it) may indeed find a way to my place.

Enjoy the show!

Tony Gasbarro said...

"anonymous"-- While I wasn't the most imaginative or thoughtful husband on the planet, I never suggested movies out truly because I knew the rudeness and insensitivity of others bugged you. Had I realized it was less so than I thought....

And I held back on seeing the most of the movies I thought you might want to see with me.

kenju-- I dunno... You do write very well, and you relate tales of your life or of events with a beginning, middle and end, and you're not boring. Just throw in a little imagination and see where it leads you!

beth-- Yes. Unfortunately I haven't the proper discipline to be a writer...yet....

anonymous-- Nope. Mine was the two week free trial offer. I wish I had known about the AA miles one, though. the trial is a pretty moot point for me. I'm keeping Netflix.

daughter-- With the continued advances in technology and the further miniaturization of everything, we become more and more reclusive as a society, and going to see a movie in a large room full of other people is becoming more and more difficult to tolerate. It almost seems like an anachronism.

Unknown said...

This post has interesting timing... I was just having this conversation yesterday! In particular the part about believability vs. not. I'm a very willing audience. I WANT to be entertained and will therefore suspend my disbelief with little argument. To KEEP it suspended, however, the story has to follow it's own rules, i.e. the characters must stay in character, there cannot be any "magic" that isn't in context simply because the writer wrote himself into a corner, etc.

As for the theater-going experience, perhaps you should shop theaters. Sometimes that makes the difference. Unless you just really don't like people as a general rule. Then yeah, stay home.

tiff said...

#1 - I'm aghast at anonymous. Way to bring the ol' personal life into it.

#2 - movies in the theater are not as much fun as being at home, esp if you have a Big ol teevee and surround sound, becuase at HOME you have access to adult beverages, your own pjs, and a toilet you KNOW hasn't been peed on by preschoolers and messy teens you don't know.

You should ove NetFlix. I've just started watching movies again at home (see #2) and love it.

Anonymous said...

oh, well... what else is new. besides, what is this other than personal life written via pseudonym?

"anonymous" is the same as anonymous-- wonders if the free miles could be still had

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I've become pretty jaded with movies recently. I guess I'm not really watching the right ones. I figured this out when I watched
'A Room For Romeo Brass' which shook me to my core.

It takes a lot for a film to move me close to tears, conjure upon genuine disgust and an actual desire to see a character commit violence.