Sunday, September 19, 2010

Careering

When does a job become a career? I had a job for eight years, and before that I had several other jobs, doing much the same thing, for another eight years. But early in 2009 that string stopped.

And one year ago I started driving a taxi.

I never wanted to be a taxi driver. Oh, at times it seemed like it would be an interesting job, and over the past year I learned that it can be an interesting job. But it’s not the job I want to do. The unfortunate truth, however, is that my chosen career seems to have abandoned me.

I used my new unemployment last year as my opportunity to pursue some dreams: acting, writing. But this job that supposedly allows me the flexibility of schedule demands so much time in order to earn a living income that the schedule is very inflexible, lest I starve, or choose between paying the rent or the electric bill. Where I had hoped to drive the taxi to fill in when the freelance video work and the paid acting gigs left gaps, it’s quite the other way around. There have been damnably few freelance production gigs, and the acting gigs to date have been pro bono.

Of course, a few relatively minor lifestyle changes could make being a taxi driver a little more comfortable. I could move into a smaller apartment; it’s not like I spend much time in my place, now. Or I could get a roommate; I would never get to know him or her, and neither of us would ever really be a bother to the other.

But I don’t want to be a taxi driver. Yet it’s what I am. For a year, already.

And counting.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I understand this. I don't want to be a substitute teacher and i don't want to live with my father, yet I am and I do.

Suckage.

Guess though, you should still strive to be the BEST dang taxi driver you can, if that's what you're going to do for a bit...

(I would like to point out, with some irony, that the word verification for me, for this post, is "obama". Do I need to further comment?)

Tony Gasbarro said...

I think that's awesome!

kenju said...

Is it possible that you could find employment in your chosen field if you re-located?

And my word is "obbom"