Thursday, April 16, 2009

Writing For Pay! ...Sorta....

A few of my readers may have noticed that big orange ticket looking thing that recently appeared under my photo over there to the left. The other two of my readers usually fall asleep right at "FARRA—zzzzzzz..."

What the appearance of that big orange ticket looking thing means is I am now an official EventChaser. What that means is I have signed up at EventChaser.com to attend certain shows I want to see that they want covered, and then I will write a review at their website.

I went to their ticket site, Razorgator, perused the huge list of events, from sports to concerts to stage plays to coffee shop Icelandic death poem readings... okay, just kidding on that last one... and provided them with a list of the events coming to Chicago that I would like to attend.

The site is broken down into categories that separate the different events from each other so it's easy to find the kind of entertainment you're looking for, and I was most interested in concert tickets. Their list of concerts is two pages long with several hundred different shows currently listed! I provided them with a short list of about 97 things I'd like to see, and they're now going to send me at least one, maybe two Flight of the Conchords tickets for a show at the end of April! For FREE!!

Well, free, except for that part where I promised to write a review...

And then, in a fuzzy haze of bravado the likes by which I have never before been possessed, I asked the woman from EventChaser with whom I was corresponding if she would like to accompany me to the show! She declined, claiming that she lives in Arizona. My thought was, Fine, if she doesn't think I'm worth a 30-hour drive, eating fast-food in her car at 70 miles per hour, four nights of lodging alone in roadside motels, missing a week of work, and just one evening with a really nice guy who has some minor rejection issues and who might not want sex, then it's her loss. But I didn't say anything. I had already moved on.

Keep your eyes peeled at this site for a mention of my review with a link to EventChaser, where you will get to see my very first assignment as a professional writer!



°

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That should be a great show. Hope you have a blast!

kenju said...

You'll do anything, won't you. LOL

I'm sorry she turned you down. Maybe the next one won't.

tiff said...

Sweet gig, dude!

Maggie said...

Sounds like a perfect gig for anyone who wants to be a writer- and sounds like it would be a GREAT show... I only live 3 hours away... ;)

Tony Gasbarro said...

kenju-- No, I won't do anything. For instance, I would NEVER lower a toddler head-first into a cotton candy machine.

Again.

My niece is still in therapy over that one.

tiff-- Who is that friend of yours in Chicago you told me might like to go to a concert with me?

maggie-- I’ll let you know if they send me two tix. You DO owe me a visit. ;) From memory, the show is the 28th or 29th of this month. I think.

Maggie said...

Farrago- game on! I'd love to come for a visit! And since I'm an outta work teaching hack, I'm always free... hmmm, that didn't sound right... ;) I'm available those nights. Wait... I mean... uh... i don't have plans! :)

odd observation: the word verification is "plertism"

Rambling Owlers said...

You crack me up :) Can't wait to see that first review does that list extend to UK concerts?

Tony Gasbarro said...

maggie-- Once I find out to which show they're sending me, I'll let you know. And even if the show dates don't work out, you're always welcome to swing on out here. I like swingers. ...no, wait. That came out wrong. You can always sleep here with me. ...on me... FOR me GAAHHH!!

Stop on by, won't you?

DFO-- I really don't know if EventChaser covers events/venues in the UK. You can always check out their site and see....

Maggie said...

Whether the concert works out or not, give me a call or drop me a line and we can arrange a visit and I can sleep over- I'd love to sleep with you. I mean...stay with you in your bed... I mean, uh...er... in a bed you own... ;)