Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Condition of Air

Well, I think I just stepped into the last phase of my life. With the summer weather finally upon Chicago, and the bones and joints slowly seizing in my increasingly sedentary state, I've come to believe that I've sealed my fate.

I grew up fairly poor. My father ran his own business, opening a barbershop during the prepubescence of the post-war baby-boom, when young men still had their hair cut regularly enough to keep barbers in business and feeding their families. But then The Beatles introduced American kids to drugs, free love and long hair, and the innocence was over. By 1970, Mom had to stop having kids and go to work. With seven kids, however, the paycheck usually was eaten before it was cashed.

So we went without a lot of the things that friends whose parents made lots more money than did mine took for granted. One of these things was air conditioning. I spent my youth riding out the heat and humidity of Chicago summers. If it was too hot outside, then we ran the sprinkler. When we ran up the water bill too high, then we sat in the house practically naked, in front of a box fan. In the morning we drew the shades and closed the windows on the east side of the house and opened the windows on the west. As the sun traversed the heavens through the day, we closed the windows and shades on the south side, and then on the west side to keep the heat at bay. Those were dismal summers. Too hot to do anything but park in front of a fan and watch the Cubs on TV. Truly dismal summers.

I developed a thick skin in those days, eventually eschewing air conditioning when it offered itself to me, for I knew it was but a temporary respite, and I would only return home to a fan blowing the warm humid air around the house. So I chose to embrace the muggy, accept it as that which made me stronger.

And it did make me stronger, as I learned when I moved to Georgia, where the summers last almost twice as long as in Chicago. The Georgia natives and lifelong transplants thought this northerner would melt in their sunshine like an ice cube on a barbecue, but I showed them. I had learned to weather the weather. I could sweat it out with the best of them, and none of my detractors was among the best. They would last fifteen, maybe twenty minutes on an early August mid-afternoon as I rolled tape on the auto dealership inventory lot, while I toiled with angle after angle, shot after shot, and they shrank to the climate-controlled sanctuary of the showroom.

And my car had the factory installed 4-55 air conditioning system: four windows rolled down at 55 miles per hour. This didn't have as much to do with the fact that the A.C. compressor had croaked two years after I had bought the car and couldn't afford to get it fixed as it did with my disdain for its existence under my hood.

And I endured. I stuck it out. I stood my ground.

Until last year.

Mrs. Farrago and I decided that it was best for us and the future value of our 100-plus year old home to have central air conditioning installed. The summers haven't gotten any cooler, the fans don't work any better, and the Cubs... well, let's face it. They're still the Cubs. So for two weeks in November one diminutive man sawed holes in our floors and ceilings, built a half-mile of ductwork through our basement and our attic, and parked two huge condensers outside our back wall. They loomed there silently through the cold, beneath the snow, stoic in their patience, waiting for their day to shine.

And to my delight, Mrs. Farrago put off firing up the system, ritually closing the east windows and shades in the morning, and then reversing them in the afternoon. But then last week, the first string of 70-degree days alit upon us, and the indoor temperature reached the limit at which we had set the thermostat, and the beast came to life.

And from that moment I have felt my tolerance ebbing. Perspiration, once a welcome sign of my veracity, is now becoming - dare I say it - uncomfortable. In the car I'm even keeping the windows closed and turning on the A.C., aerodynamics and fuel economy my pathetic excuse.

Air conditioning is a drug, an addictive substance that pulls one indoors and renders him pale and meek and pathetic. And it is I who becomes addicted. It is I who feels the rest of his life coming at him, nestled comfortably in air conditioned splendor insulated from the reality of the world.

But, hey. At least the beer stays cold longer!

6 comments:

tiff said...

I am first, and for the first time. It feels a little wrong,but I'm going with it.

We've just recently moved from CT to NC, and I was a weather wuss in both places. I bow to your hardiness and tolerance. I simply don't have it in me to sweat when technology allows for something differnet.

However, if I'm camping or otherwise not in the vicinity of AC, I perspire, and like it.

StringMan said...

Wow, you really held out for a long time, especially given your time in Georgia (the State of Cumming and Climax, if I recall :)

Now that you've tasted the evil fruit of central air, you will never go back, my friend. AC/DC will no longer signify electrical current or great rock 'n roll, but 'air conditioning, damn cold!"

Just the way it oughta be!

mr. schprock said...

Air conditioning is man's final stage in evolution, the harbinger of a second ice age. We've run the gamut from homo erectus to nipple erectus,

fakies said...

We never had air conditioning at home either. When I moved out on my own, I never used the one in my house. But then I got a car with an air conditioner. And an air-conditioned job. And a different house with two air conditioners. And now I'm a big fat wussy.

Imagine my distress yesterday when I blew a breaker and it quit working.

Tony Gasbarro said...

TIFF!
Welcome to my blog. I ain't never seen you here, before! And congrats on being a first. Umm... You're ...ah... 'glowing' a little on your upper lip...

String,
I think my job will keep me in shape, as it were. I get sent often to resorts in warm climes where I have to spend a decent amount of time in the heat and humidity. That, or I'll die of heat prostration in the Bahamas....

Schprock,
Nipple erectus, perhaps, but also scrotus shrivelus, too. And who you callin' 'homo?'

Trina,
Yeah, see? It creeps up and has you in its cool comfortable grasp, and you don't even know it, until a breaker blows or a fan belt snaps, and then your hair puffs out to three times its normal thickness and not the least bit attractive (I don't have that hair problem any more), and you don't know what to do so you sit in your ungodly warm house and cry.

Word Verification: ngggzw. I'm not going there.

Kelly G. said...

Again, commenting on a very old blog entry, but this one struck a chord with me.

I lived without air conditioning for much of my life, so when my parents finally got central air when I was about 17 or 18, I was thrilled. I also was lucky enough to get into the only air-conditioned dorm on my college campus.

You're right; it's a drug, and I can't imagine living without the option. That said, people have to be dying in the streets before I'll feel comfortable turning it on.

Maybe it's because I associate being warm and sweaty with only positive things (working out, running outside, dancing, taking a long hot bath, long or extra active sex romps, etc.), but I really do enjoy the feeling of being slightly uncomfortable from the heat. Every time I turn on the air, I feel like I've failed. I'd rather just put on some super lightweight clothes and tough it out.

That said, when I'm getting ready to go out for the evening and I'm trying to look cute, I'm not going to let the heat turn my silky heat dried strands into a ball of frizz. Crank it up!!

Sorry for the way too long comment on such an old entry, but I really did enjoy this one. =)