Friday, May 12, 2006

I Really Need to Pay Closer Attention to Unimportant Things

When I checked in to my flight to Vancouver yesterday, I requested and received an upgrade to first class, something I always try to do on flights longer than three hours. I was seated in the very front row of the plane, right side, on the aisle. The passengers in the seats directly behind me were moving around, talking, getting settled when I glanced back and momentarily thought the thirty-something woman in the window seat was wearing a very revealing top. Not one who wants to miss such a thing, I turned for a better look, only to discover that it was a scarf draped over her neck, and she was wearing a black tank-top and a jacket as well.

A few minutes later I heard the flight attendant talking to her behind me, most of it unintelligible until I heard him say, "...wonderful. Are you performing?" I didn't hear the answer, but I turned to regard the woman again. She looked at me, and I looked at her. She didn't smile, I didn't smile. She didn't seem like anything special, nor did I, I'm sure, to her. I never heard much from the couple behind me through the rest of the flight, and I pretty much forgot about them.

We landed in Vancouver, several hours late due to the weather in Chicago, and I was the second person off the plane and on the long customs-segregated walk above the rest of the nearly abandoned airport. I was screened at Immigration and I proceeded to the baggage carousel to wait with the rest of the people from my flight. A thirty-something Canadian man stood near me and made brief small-talk. Then he said, "Have you ever heard of Sarah McLachlan?"

I said, "Yeah, I've heard of her. Singer, right?" I've even seen her perform one of her songs on TV.

"Yeah," he said. Then he gestured to the woman who had been seated behind me for the last four and a half hours. "That's her right there."

Holy shit.

9 comments:

ProducerClaire said...

I am completely and utterly jealous. I'm a massive Sarah McLachlan fan (learn how to spell it, m'dear)! To the point that the first time I saw her in concert, she was wearing a black top and these tight red leather pants. My friend and I decided then and there that she truly has the entire package and is one of the very few people who could make us consider altering our sexuality!

Tony Gasbarro said...

Spelling duly noted. I'm just spelling it the way the dude said it. "McLAWKlin" instead of "McLACKlin." But I'll go now and fix it, and your little note will look silly!

(But doesn't it just bring home the fact that I was (am) clueless?)

mr. schprock said...

Every time I go to New York City I walk by famous people without realizing who they are. The people I'm with usually mention it to me after the fact.

Tony Gasbarro said...

It just makes me wonder... how many have I missed?

fakies said...

I am a huge Sarah McLachlan fan as well. I listen to her CDs constantly, one of which had an online catalog on it which forced me to buy several items I didn't need but wear constantly. Very cool experience, even if you didn't know it. :P

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

My brother said hello to Rik Mayall once, and I got the nod from Slash at a Velvet Revolver concert for my exceptional air guitar skills...

Tony Gasbarro said...

...one of which had an online catalog on it which forced me to buy several items I didn't need...

I'm curious to know which method that online catalog used to strongarm you into spending your hard-earned cash... cyber-scissor-hold? Internet nose-hook? Hacker half-nelson?

Tony Gasbarro said...

...I got the nod from Slash at a Velvet Revolver concert for my exceptional air guitar skills...

That must be some pretty impressive air-axe handling. That, or ol' Slash had a horse flush and happened to tilt your way before getting his feet under himself again....

Tony Gasbarro said...

I almost ran into Joe Cocker in at the Rome Cavalieri Hilton back in '04. I mean almost LITERALLY ran into him...collided, even.

He's rather short. He smiled, said something like, "Hey, mate," and I chickened out asking for his autograph. And, just so you know, I wouldn't have known it was him until I had been busted earlier taking photos of the video crew interviewing him. I couldn't convince the woman who busted me that I'm just a video geek tweaked by the fact that there was a Rome video crew at my hotel...and by the way, who are they interviewing? She just didn't believe I could be that ignorant. "So why do take the picture if-a you don't know who 'e is?"