Sunday, March 11, 2007

Saturday Adventure

It started off as a typical Saturday… a few commitments in the morning, and then I met up with Mrs. Farrago at the local Fivebucks for coffee. Oops… make that Starbucks….

And then we commenced with our plan… earlier in the day she had suggested that we go down to the lakefront to snap pictures of the thawing ice, and the late-winter lakeshore in general. It was shaping up to be a beautiful day, so there was no reason not to agree.

We rode a city bus down to the Nature Museum, which was the closest point to where we wanted to go. I don’t think there’s a spot along the lakeshore where you can’t get an awesome shot of the skyline.



We walked our way down past Fullerton Avenue, among the beautiful people working on their beauty,



happily snapping photos of things and of each other.







And then tragedy struck.

While I was snapping a series of photos like this one

atop one of the many breakwaters, Mother Nature’s evil nature blustered toward me. While I lay prone to snap the photos, one of her dastardly fingers lifted my beloved hat into her air, over my back and legs and into the water many feet below.




Fighting panic, my mind raced for a solution. I remembered one of the photos I had taken earlier

and realized that the subject within was my potential savior! I sprinted …well, sorta walked fast… back to the beach. It could be considered vandalism in the eyes of the casual observer, but a life… nay, a lifestyle… was at stake, and drastic times require drastic measures and whatnot, so I acted!



At first it seemed to be beyond my reach, but the slat was longer than I realized – or the water was closer than I realized, and rescue seemed achievable!



Alas! The water proved too adhesive for me to hook the brim with the slat, so, improvising yet again, I pulled the hat to the wall of the breakwater and slid it up to my other, eagerly waiting, hand. Triumph! My hat, my image, my iconic lifestyle, SAVED!


Later we were accosted by Canada geese.



Normally when they approach like these two did, it’s because they perceive a threat, either the male perceives a challenge to the rights to his mate, or both perceive a threat to their nest. We backed off to maintain a respectful distance, but they just kept advancing!



And then, within mere feet of us they simply stopped. And honked.



These Canada geese, it appeared, are permanent residents of our fair city. It would seem that other humans have given them food in the past, and these geese were begging. And they probably have no intentions of ever returning to Canada.



That was our day of adventure in Chicago. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

(some scenes are dramatized recreations to enhance the story and make it seem more dramatic than it really was)
(click the post title to see all of my photos of Chicago and of the geese and Mrs. Farrago!)

8 comments:

kenju said...

I love all the pics and I dub thee Sir Hat Retriever! Honk, honk!

ProducerClaire said...

I love the mix of pictures and words! It's a picture book... "Farrago and the escape of the chapeau"

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Kick ass!

This ruled.

Way to go. I guess vandalism is not always an act of destruction without reason.

P.S - your CD left this morning.

Tony Gasbarro said...

kenju: I've been called worse! :-)

Claire: Ya think I have a future in writing kids' novels?

Toast: The pictures of me at the snow fence were actually taken as I was putting the slat back IN the fence. Am I a goody-two-shoes, or what!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I didn't ned to know that. Now my vision of you as an esoteric vandal has been, well, vandalised.

Nooooooo!!!

fakies said...

That's kinda like when we blew up Hiroshima and then paid to rebuild it. You know, except cheaper and less dramatic.

Gripping story, BTW.

Anonymous said...

We have enough geese, thanks. You keep those two.

~A Canadian

mr. schprock said...

Change your name from Farrago to MacGiver.

Great snaps.