Monday, March 24, 2008

The 2nd Best Thing I Ever Did

Dad was getting ready to retire, and the party we were planning just didn’t seem adequate. So I made a few calls to see if anyone might be interested to know that a veritable institution was closing its doors. One columnist/reporter called back, interviewed me over the phone for about 15 minutes, and then said that Dad’s was certainly a story worth sharing.

The Chicago Sun-Times is one of the city’s two big dailies – it’s the home newspaper to both Richard Roeper and Roger Ebert(!) – so I was quite surprised when the reporter said he would head down to the far south suburbs and visit with Dad, and I was quite tickled that his story could be seen by potentially several hundred thousand people! (Click on the image to make it bigger.)

From Sunday February 29, 2004:

(Special thanks to ts2bx Mrs. Farrago for
preparing this image.)

8 comments:

kenju said...

That's a great article, Farrago. Your dad must have been proud of that in the paper! You're a good son.

mr. schprock said...

Dang, I got me a lot of reading to catch up on. Looks like a lot of good stuff. Congratulations on the full page article!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Yeah, that was a good read.

6 siblings!!

It's pretty amazing that there was no advertisement for the barbers, yet your father kept it going so long.

Greyhound Girl said...

That's great and so so so proud!

kenju said...

Thanks for the visit! We LOVED Weebles too! and I remember riding in the first Edsel; it was thought to be radical and good at the time. No one knew that it would be a bomb until later.

Beth said...

I think that is sensational. Congratulations!

Tony Gasbarro said...

I updated this post as some seemed to think this article was published very recently....

Thanks to everyone whose expressed concern and sympathy for my dad.

And I'm kind of surprised no one has commented about the Capone piece. Gramma was kind of a tough old bird...even when she was young!

fermicat said...

I enjoyed reading that article. Thanks for sharing!