Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Onds & Edds

The Farrago World Tour 2008: Raleigh, North Carolina
By some strange coincidence, ten of the fifteen bloggers in my “Better Blogs Than Mine” list – ten out of all the blogs I frequent regularly – are women. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing, though most of them are married. Of those ten women bloggers, three of them live in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina! I don’t know if that means I have a thang for southern women, or if maybe it means that Raleigh women don’t have anything bett – erhm… ah, I mean that Raleigh women are just darn good writers!

I guess there are a couple of other ladies from the area whose blogs I have not yet latched onto, and I guess there are a couple of male bloggers there, too, but who cares about them? (just kidding Biff!)

So, anyhoo, my wonderful* job sent me on an assignment into the Raleigh-Durham area (pronounced, I like to believe, by the locals as “Rollyderm”) and, in a rare bout of presence of mind, I managed to remember to contact the Rollygirls with plenty of time to spare and to let them know I was coming down for a couple of nights, AND I had one of them free!

In a surprising bit of schedule synchronicity, kenju, Tiff and Claire all cleared their dockets and came out to greet me. Kenju brought her hubby, Tiff brought The Things, and even the blogger formerly known as Biff Spiffy showed up (and I’d like to know how he found out about it!) (just kidding Biff!)

There was absolutely no effort on my part; the ladies took over from my notification, choosing the venue, the time, the decorations, the band, the set list, the menu, the potpourri scents that changed with each progressive meal course…

Nah! Just kidding. They agreed on a sports-bar kind of place that is reputed to have great burgers. I ordered the ribeye steak.

The food was great, the company was outstanding, and as I knew would happen, the evening wasn’t nearly long enough to enjoy fully. In other words, I wanted to be able to hang out until we were all tired of each other, but I had to leave first thing in the morning, and I wouldn’t have gotten tired of any of them until around noon at the earliest.

And the best part of the whole evening is that we snuck Biff’s credit card and passed it around for everyone to pay for their meal with, so the whole night was on Biff! (just kidding Bif… no, wait. We really did that one. (Thanks, Biff!))

A photo was taken, but since I was wearing my Snow White outfit, I’m afraid there may be trademark issues with the Disney Corporation, so I won’t publish it.

So, thank you ladies and Biff for letting me enjoy your company for a couple of hours. It’s good to know I have a passel of friends in Raleigh I can hang with next time I’m there.


Fork A!
I don’t know for sure, but it would seem my presence amid the likes of Kenju and Tiff, the local Blogger Hit Queens, has gotten some of their mojo on me, for today SiteMeter indicates that by 7:00pm CDT, FARRAGO had 21 hits, a new world’s record** and a surge that pushed me past a new benchmark!!

Whoever you are in Miami, at some labs that shall remain nameless, and using Sprint as your ISP, you are my 4,000th hit! If I had money I’d send you a prize. Maybe I’ll send you a personalized, autographed copy of my list of Better Blogs Than Mine.

Thank you everyone! You like me, right now, you like me!†


*written through gritted teeth

**for farrago-mish-mash.blogspot.com

† ©1979 Sally Field™ and the Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences®

12 comments:

kenju said...

Well now, you're travelling in exalted company as of late!

We really enjoyed meeting you and hope you will not be a stranger in these here parts no more!

kenju said...

P.S. congratulations on reaching 4000! If you want more hits, just write about Kukla, Fran and Ollie and "whipped ocean". Either those or wedding flowers....LOL

fermicat said...

Sounds like a great time for all. Maybe you'll change your mind about that photo...

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I'm going to try and amend my travel plans to come and see you. I don't know how, but I'll try and sort it.

Glad it went so well!

Anonymous said...

Shoot -- I never get to meet anyone. [Insert pouty face here.] Hmph.

Seriously, you met some of the 'specialest' folks I know -- so damn jealous!

tiff said...

Dude - the surge came from Kenju. I'm got barely enough traffic to merit a trickle of sludge water on my OWN blog. ;)

Next time you come over, plan to stay until noon, mmkay?

tiff said...

"I'm got"? WTH?

Unknown said...

Sounds like lots of fun! Which I think you could use more of, yes? Glad you had a good time.

For a real surge, however, you'll have to start blogging about naked celebrities. Maybe you could just use that as your titles for each post: Shirtless Brad Pitt or Scarlett Johansson Does Latex. I'm not sure you want to pimp your blog out for mere hits, though. Whereas I have no problem exploiting the penguin for its rock star appeal!

Greyhound Girl said...

Hey that's really awesome and sounds like a great time! I think i's pretty cool that you meet your blog readers. (And congrats on the 4000!)

ProducerClaire said...

Happy 4,000th to you!
Happy... 4000th... to... yoooou
Happpy
Four
THOUSANDTH Mr... Farrago
Happy 4000th to you.

I've gotta remember to put a hit counter on mine again...

Middle Girl said...

congrats on meeting some cool folks. congrats on meeting a new benchmark.

Beth said...

Wow, that's really neat. Tiff must have been an absolute hoot!