Friday, July 18, 2008

Mini Soda

It was a short drive today, in comparison to the other days on this trip. I drove more than half the way from TMOFN, Montana, to Montevideo, Minnesota, yesterday, so today's drive was only about four and a half hours. And the landscape becomes more tame the farther east one drives from Montana, so the roadside spectacles became fewer, though there were a few things worth noticing.


It looked like the wind in eastern North Dakota was pretty stiff this morning!

Not long after I entered Minnesota, I started feeling lethargic and depressed... and then I discovered why....



Western Minnesota

So I guess this means the trip is pretty much over, unless anyone wants to hear about my niece's wedding. After that it's a 10-hour drive home through the rest of Minnesota, Wisconsin and northern Illinois.

The Road Can Teach You Things
What did I learn on my trip?

- During the recent flooding in Iowa, I heard it said that this country's corn crop was "ruined." That may be true for the riverside farmers in Iowa, but not true of the whole state. There's L O T S of corn out there!

- It's really unfair when, after you leave a place, they go in behind you and change all the stuff you remember. And it's inevitable.

- No matter how hard life is kicking you, it's always kicking someone else harder. It's just rare that you meet one of them.

- The tap water in Themiddleoffuckingnowhere SUCKS! ...or so I was warned...

-There's a real prime idiot who drives a white Buick in Minnesota who, thanks to my quick reaction -- at 60 mph, no less -- is not having to breathe with the aid of a machine!

- There is no reason one should not try to see this country up close and at ground level at least once in a lifetime. None.

6 comments:

kenju said...

I am enjoying seeing that part of the country through your photos. I've always wanted to take a road trip; an unstructured one, where you drive wherever you are pointed and stay the night when you get tired of driving. At the current cost of gas (and the fact that I am the only driver now) that is not possible. Enjoy - and be safe!

Tony Gasbarro said...

The "stay the night when you get tired of driving" part proved dicey, but I never had to sleep in the car or on a park bench.

But now is the time to do what you've always wanted. I thought about the gas prices, but the opportunity came up now. If I put it off until the gas prices come back down (and just how far will they, really?), then there'd be some other reason I'd come up with that I couldn't go. So what's wrong with being the only driver? At least you get to go only where you want to go. Or bring a friend or a child/grandchild who can share the driving. If you keep putting it off for every reason you shouldn't go, you'll be too old to do it when the opportunity is "right."

But now you don't have to 'cause you've seen all my fantabulous photos!

Greyhound Girl said...

The H20 Really does suck- we would steer you wrong out here in TMoFN!

And I love the tipped power lines! And you should write about the wedding and the final 10 hours home- you brought us this far- finish us up! Com'on! Please?!?

Jenn said...

i like country h2o better then city h2o

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I couldn't agree with the last sentiment more

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I loved that sign!